Resourcefulness is overrated.
I cranked out a lot of work last weekend to stock up on cards for upcoming birthdays, extra thank you notes, etc. As always, I tailored each design to the recipient I had in mind at the time, but I also dug a little deeper in my “scraps” and found something I could use to create several similar cards:
A printed blank card I had bought in a set years ago.
So, I split the front and back of the card in two to create four pieces I could work with to make four different, but similar, cards:
Below are the finished products:
Sometimes my paper cutter and I don’t get along.
I’ll admit, it’s probably about that time to replace the blade for a sharper one. The current one has survived a huge batch of Christmas cards and then some.
However, I can’t help but be irritated when the blade snags the edge of the paper, neglects to complete a clean cut or merely perforates the edge.
The good news: With a bit of extra thought and creativity, you can cover up the little rips and tears you suffer from using a crummy blade.
For example, I added a bit extra to this birthday card in the effort to cover up a tear on one edge of the card stock I used for a border:
I didn’t want to show a mistake on the final product, but I didn’t want to put the card to waste and start over, either.
Good as new! I hadn’t planned on going with that particular design when I started creating the card, but I think it works.
Have you ever had to try a new direction with a project because the original design didn’t go as planned? Share your quick scrapping fixes in the comments below!
Apparently two viewings of The Nutcracker in one weekend put me in the mood to start my Christmas cards last night.
I started with the envelopes:
Following a design I found on Pinterest, I used the giant mug I painted at All Fired Up! to trace half circles along the bottom right corner of each envelope.
Instead of painting the green wreaths on each envelope and waiting for them to dry, I used two green shades of my watercolor markers. I like the way the colors blended together!
Next I moved on to the cards. (I’ve counted 76 recipients, but I’ll make 80 just in case!)
Using the green cardstock I bought at Hollo’s last month, I cut half circles to fold into the Christmas trees for the front of each card.
I opened another find on Pinterest to create each tree. Although the folding part was tricky to master based on the photo I found, I kept trying slightly different techniques until I found a method that worked well.
80 paper Christmas trees later, I’m off to a good start!
Here is a glimpse of the Christmas cards I created with extras I had kept from past years.